Hello Friends of the Inn!
It goes without saying that mom would rather have you spend money on yourself than on another mother’s day gift for her. If you’re finally ready to heed her advice and skip giving a store-bought gift this year, make one of these DIY Mother’s Day gifts instead. And no, we’re not suggesting making her more macaroni frames. In fact, these ultra-thoughtful craft ideas are very sophisticated, ranging from a super fun Jamaican breakfast to beautiful floral arrangements.
There is no doubt that this year’s celebration of Mothers day will be a strange one in light of the challenges we all face at this time. We however, thought that in spite of this that there is no reason to not celebrate that special woman in your life.
Here are a few practical ways to tell Mom i love you!
Picnic styled Breakfast
Recipe for A Classic Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict (serves one)
Two Poached Eggs
Slices of Smoked Salmon (you can also use Smoked Marlin!)
Home-Made Jamaica Inn Brioche (you can use a Classic English Muffin for same effect)
Hollandaise Sauce or A Subtle Herb Sour Cream Sauce (which is what Chef uses for this dish.)
– To Poach an egg perfectly, bring a large pot of water to the point that the water is simmering, not boiling.
– Add 1/4 cup of White Vinegar
– Crack each egg gently into the water, or one egg at a time, for three minutes – then transfer to a dish with a paper towel until ready to assemble.
– Chef also served this dish with a wonderful herb sour cream sauce – simply made. Use fresh chopped herbs that you have on hand and sauté in pan for a few minutes with olive oil. Add slowly a half a cup of heavy cream to the herb mixture as well as salt and pepper. Cook on low heat until the mixture reduces, this is enough for one serving.
Assemble starting with two pieces of Brioche or toasted English Muffins – smoked salmon – poached eggs and sauce drizzled over or on side, can also add a few capers, chopped chives or onions.
Home made Scrub
Ocean Spa Homemade Brown Sugar Scrub Recipe
- 2 cups brown sugar (Coarse sugar will give you a coarser scrub and fine sugar will give you fine scrub)
- 1 cup solid (but soft) coconut oil
- Extra additions (vanilla extract, essential oils if available)
Whip together the sugar, oil, and additives until the mixture looks creamy. You may use a food processor or simply use a bowl to mix, do not process too long, this will cause coconut oil to melt and the mixture will separate. If this happens, place it in the freezer for a few minutes to solidify and mix again.
Homemade Face Mask
- 1 medium banana
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
Puree ripe banana into a smooth paste, add ¼ cup of plain yogurt and 2 tablespoons honey, mix until all the ingredients are combined, then gently apply it to your face and neck. Let it set for 10 to 20 minutes, then rinse it off with cold water.
Fresh Floral Arrangements
You can make your own floral arrangements with this super fun tutorial from our head of housekeeping Mrs. Barbara Marsh! See the link below;
Inn Style floral arrangement tutorial with Ms. Marsh 🌷🌸🌺 #JIvirtualexperiences
Posted by Jamaica Inn on Wednesday, 15 April 2020