Hello friends of the Inn!
Ocho Rios (Spanish for “Eight Rivers”) is a town in the parish of Saint Ann on the north coast of Jamaica. Ocho Rios affectionately called “Ochi” by locals was once a fishing village but now caters to tourists. Today it is a premier visitor location with multiple shopping centres, restaurants, off the beaten path tours and attractions and is home to one of the most well known cruise ship ports in the Caribbean.
Every wonder why people are attracted to Ocho Rios? We thought we’d share with you some cool facts about out small town.
- Ocho Rios’s most popular tourist attraction is the Dunn’s River Falls Tour. The 600-foot waterfall allows visitors to swim under the falls, relax in the clear water and climb up the “water stairs” located on the side of the falls. The tour price is $23 per person.
- Bob Marley’s birthplace and burial place, located in the hills above Ocho Rios in the town of St. Ann.
- Ocho Rios is known as the “capital of adventure” home to the highest number of attractions per square mile. Jamaica Inn is a mere 10 minutes away from some of the most popular attractions on the island.
- Ocho Rios is home to the most award winning luxury hotels on the island including Jamaica Inn.
- Ocho Rios is the home of Marcus Garvey, one of our most beloved national heroes.
- The small town is a favorite of Ian Flemming famous author of the James Bond books.
- Ocho Rios has a vibrant selection of restaurant with varying cuisines from all over the world ie. Indian, Italian etc.
- The newly built Ocho Rios pier and fishing village recently engineering award
- Ocho Rios actually four rivers even though the name is eight rivers.
- The Windsor Mineral Spring (more commonly known as “Fire Water”) located just outside of St Ann’s Bay is a small pool of water with a very unusual quality. The pool contains water which can catch fire! This phenomenon is believed to be caused by a high concentration of sulphur in the water.